Thursday, March 12, 2015

Spring Fever

After this long, brutal winter, I'm itching to get my hands in the dirt. I've got some seeds started indoors to help me get over my case of spring fever. I've always purchased seedlings from a local organic farm, but this year I've decided to put more time and effort into my gardening, and I'm hoping that will produce greater results.

I purchased organic seeds on Amazon and from a local store that included plant varieties that are supposed to grow well in my area, 5A. We have a short growing season, so starting seeds indoors is pretty much the only option for many plants.

The past two or three years our garden has not produced well, for various reasons. We didn't till, like we should have. We did turn the dirt over and add topsoil, but that was it. Now that I've spent some time reading online and in books about proper gardening, this year we're going to invest in a small tiller. I'm also going to experiment with some raised beds for my kids to grow plants in, based on the square foot gardening method.

I'm hoping that by summer, we'll have lots of fresh produce to eat, right from our own backyard!

No comments:

Post a Comment