Wednesday, June 3, 2015

The garden is underway!

Garden with wood walking paths


 I'm really pleased with how the garden is looking so far. May was unseasonably warm, so I got a lot of my vegetables planted pretty early. We had a couple of frost scares, but I think everything is doing okay.Some of my seedlings didn't make it, so I had to supplement with seedlings bought from a local organic farm.

We had quite a long dry spell in May as well, so the garden got almost daily watering. Then this past weekend it got poured on, and is still wet now - I just can't win with the watering!

My children each picked what they wanted to plant in their gardens. They have some lettuce, broccoli, carrots, cherry tomatoes and watermelons. A nice variety.

My kids' gardens

Our corn plants

Sugar snap peas before adding a trellis

I did get my first harvest of about 6 radishes last week. I have another batch growing that should be ready in a week or two as well. The tomatoes are flowering, and the basil and rosemary are ready for use. The red lettuce shouldn't be far behind. It will be great to walk out and get some fresh veggies later in the summer!

Besides adding the compost to our soil, I also added a little bit of organic fertilizer around each plant about 10 days after they were planted.

I think this blog will be a great place to track the progress of the garden, even if no one else reads it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment